Updates to the HAFA Short Sale Program in 2012
HAFA Update 2012 – Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternative Extended another year!
Friday, March 9th 2012, the Obama Administration announced major updates to the Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternative (HAFA) program. Created in 2009, HAFA is a government-sponsored (US Treasury) initiative assisting all Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) eligible homeowners in avoiding foreclosure through the short sales process & deed-in-lieu program.
These new HAFA updates will be effective as of June 1, 2012, and will allow more distressed homeowners to seek assistance. Most importantly, the deadline for submitting for HAFA eligibility will be extended a full year, to December 31, 2013.
March’s 2012 updates to the HAFA program include:
- The removal of occupancy requirements. Previously, HAFA required homeowners to have lived in the property within the last 12 months.
- $3,000 relocation incentives will be limited to properties occupied by an owner or tenant at the time of the short sale.
- Mortgage payments will be allowed to exceed 31% of the homeowner’s gross monthly income. This update will allow a homeowner to stay current on her mortgage and still qualify, minimizing the overall impact to her credit.
- Secondary lienholders may receive up to a maximum of $8,500, up from $6,000 previously.
- And one of the most dramatic changes: The Credit Bureau Reporting will be Account Status Code 13 (paid or closed account/zero balance) or 65 (account paid in full/a foreclosure was started), as applicable.
With these updates, a homeowner can be current on their mortgage, qualify for HAFA, continue to make their payments, and execute a short sale with minimum impact on their credit!
Contact Sidney Kutchuk, Temecula Certified HAFA Short Sale Agent 951-215-6745
at your service,
41720 Winchester Rd #I Temecula Calif. 92590 951.676-4663 DRE# 01156692